What is going on?
It is possible that you have a meniscus tear!
- The meniscus in your knee acts as a cushion to help with shock absorption and decrease friction in the knee joint.
- This injury often occurs due to a twisting movement at your knee which can be either self-inflicted or due to a hit from the side of the leg.
- You may feel your knee catch or lock as well as pain on the side of your knee because of the injury.
- Pain may increase with walking, squatting, twisting, or playing sports.
How long does it take for the condition to heal?
Typically this condition will take between 6 weeks to 6 months to fully heal unless the injury is bad enough that it will need surgical repair.
How can Pro+Kinetix Physical Therapy and Performance Help You?
A Doctor of Physical Therapy at Pro+Kinetix may complete a physical examination to determine what may be causing your knee pain. Based on the findings, your physical therapist will create a care plan to ensure the best care.
How can you start decreasing your pain after injury?
For immediate relief try using ice or heat!
- Apply ice to decrease swelling and decrease pain and apply heat if you would like to increase blood flow.
- Avoid squatting and twisting until you are cleared by a medical professional.
- Follow the program designed to help you heal.
- Avoid any activities that significantly increase your pain levels.
- Exercises and stretches will increase stability and strengthen your knee. This can be achieved through causing muscular changes and increasing alignment.