Flexibility exercises are activities that improve the ability of a joint to maintain the movement necessary for carrying out daily tasks and physical activity.
Examples of flexibility activities include:
It is important to incorporate flexibility exercises into your everyday exercise routine. Stretching can increase your mobility which will benefit you in your strength training exercises.
- Should I be doing stretching before or after I work out?
- Ideally, you want to be stretching after your workout when you’re warmed up. When your muscles have blood flow they are much more responsive to stretching. This will create longer lasting changes of the tissues.
- How long should I be stretching for?
- Research indicates that 3 cycles of 30 second holds provides that best results for stretching.
- For more questions on when you should be stretching, why you should stretch and even what types of stretches you should be doing… sign up for our newsletter! We send out bi-monthly newsletters with useful tips and tricks to better your health and well-being.